Sutton School Games Organiser – Tracey Milbourn
COMPETITIONS & FESTIVALS
In Sutton, we deliver over 70 competitions and festivals annually to primary, secondary and SEN schools throughout the borough. Our ethos is to offer a diverse range of events which enables young people of all ages, interests and abilities to experience the excitement of taking part in a large scale event which will spark a love of physical activity, leading to them to maintain active lifestyles.
2020/21 Unfortunately, due to Covid-19 restrictions we are not able to offer our usual competition calendar. All events will be run in an intra-school format and results sent through to SGO.
Please check the web-sites below for updates on Virtual events happening this term
LEVEL 0 = PERSONAL CHALLENGE – celebrate & reward personal success
LEVEL 1 = INTRA COMPETITION – competitions run within schools – inter form/house/club E.g. Sports Day
LEVEL 2 = INTER COMPETITION – competitions run between schools – pathway and development formats
LEVEL 3 = REGIONAL COMPETITION – winners from the borough compete either at LYG or Surrey finals
LEVEL 4 = NATIONAL COMPETITION – events supported by NGBs
LEADERSHIP – SUTTON SUPREMOS
School Games is also committed to training young people as Sports Leaders. As well as working with a large number secondary school sports leaders groups throughout the borough to deliver competition, we run a bespoke primary and secondary programme. These leaders will then be equipped to help deliver lunch-time clubs, intra-school events such as sports day, as well as borough pathway competitions.
60 ACTIVE MINUTES
Another key focus for School Games is to enable advocacy for 60 active minutes a day for every child, and to support schools in achieving the 30-active minutes in schools’ ambition. The focus of this area has been through Change4Life clubs but is now supported with the Active School Planner web-site
Registration with the School Games is FREE for all schools!
Regardless of who you are – teacher, student or parent, being a part of the School Games can be a hugely beneficial and rewarding experience.
FOR SCHOOLS –
- ACCESS EXCLUSIVE CONTENT – registered schools have access to a range of tools, resources, videos and case studies which support the delivery of the School Games.
- SCHOOL GAMES ORGANISER – Get in contact with your local SGO who will be able to offer you an annual calendar of competition for your school to access. There are currently 452 SGO’s throughout England who are responsible for 2.4 million sporting opportunities for young people.
- BE ELIGIBLE FOR INCENTIVES AND REWARDS – registered schools who blog on the School Games website will be considered for a range of prizes and fantastic promotion opportunities.
- APPLY FOR THE SCHOOL GAMES MARK – the award scheme rewards schools registered for the School Games for their commitment to the development of competition across their school and into their community.
- PUBLICISE SPORTING EVENTS AT YOUR SCHOOL – registered schools can customise their very own school profile page and share this with students, parents, and others in the local community.
- ACTIVE CLASSROOMS – Learn how to use sport as a catalyst across the curriculum – as well as an opportunity for more young people to actively engage in competitive sport, the School Games can provide advice and resources for wider impact across the curriculum.
- 60 ACTIVE MINUTES – Fulfil government plans for getting young people active for at least 60 minutes every day and help tackle childhood obesity through Change4Life clubs.
FOR ORGANISERS –
· ACCESS EXCLUSIVE CONTENT – regardless of your place within our network, all users registered with the School Games website can make use of our growing resource library, containing loads of useful materials to make your job easier.
· MANAGE THOSE IN YOUR AREA – your dashboard can be used as the perfect management tool to track the progress of the schools, both through the annual School Games Mark application process and their daily website activity.
· CREATE A CALENDAR OF EVENTS – on your dashboard you can freely manage all of the local inter-school or county level events and create a simple calendar that you can both use and share with others.
· CURRENT NEWS & OFFERS FROM THE YOUTH SPORT TRUST – we will advertise exclusive offers to our network throughout the year and it’s only by checking your dashboard regularly that you can stay up to date with the latest opportunities.
FOR YOUNG PEOPLE –
- Have fun and enjoy themselves!
- Develop friendships and meet new people
- Become more determined and demonstrate resilience
- Understand and demonstrate the importance of respect for others
- Learn to develop self-control and manage emotions
- Experience being part of a team and understand your contribution to it
- Win with pride and lose with grace
- Learn the importance of practice and preparation
- Learn how to set realistic goals and work towards achieving them
- Aspire to improve and challenge themselves
VISIT THE YOUTH SPORT TRUST WEBSITE https://www.youthsporttrust.org/
HOW DID THE SCHOOL GAMES COME ABOUT?
School Games, supported by Sport England National Lottery funding and delivered by the Youth Sport Trust, is a government led programme designed to deliver competitive school sport to all young people.
Since it’s inception in 2010 a network of School Games Organisers (SGOs) and Local Organising Committees (LOCs) have worked alongside the Youth Sport Trust in delivering three distinct levels of competition ranging from intra to inter school activity, in addition to the National Finals, which is supported by National Governing Bodies.
SGOs are funded by the Department of Health and Social Care and the National Lottery through Sport England to deliver the School Games programme for three days a week. They are predominantly hosted by schools to whom the funding is paid. Outside of this, many SGOs also work as teachers, within School Sport Partnerships or in other roles in sport and schools.
This network currently services in excess of 17,500 registered schools who compete across School Games’ competitions.
MAIN PARTNERS AND NGBs
LONDON YOUTH GAMES https://www.londonyouthgames.org/
SURREY SCHOOLS CRICKET http://www.ssca.org.uk/
ENGLAND NETBALL https://www.englandnetball.co.uk/
ENGLAND HANDBALL http://www.englandhandball.com